With the Covid-19 outbreak sweeping across the world, sports have not been spared. The sports industry has been heavily impacted and in many ways, paralyzed by the pandemic.
Malaysia Touch Association (MTA) recently released its new strategic and recovery plans, that provide a way forward to strengthen Touch Football in the country.
In a special address by the President Interim of Malaysia Touch Association (MTA), Hj. Ahmad Sufiani Johari said the Pandemic Reset Plan (PRP) was developed in line with Malaysia National Recovery Plan.
The strategy aims to give proper guidelines to all State Touch Association (STA) beyond the pandemic to strengthen and grow the sport by striving to make it safe, enjoyable and accessible to all.
STATEMENT BY PRESIDENT INTERIM MALAYSIA TOUCH ASSOCIATION (MTA) HJ. AHMAD SUFIANI JOHARI
MTA POST-LOCKDOWN PLAN
Dear Malaysia Touch Association (MTA) affiliates.
I wish you all in good health always.
I wanted to thank all State Touch Associations (STA), MTA Secretariat and Touch Football fraternity for supporting MTA decision on 27th May 2021 in response to an alarming spike in number of Covid-19 numbers and death in Malaysia.
I have instructed MTA, STA and Clubs to stand down because I believe this action is crucial to save lives. This immediate action plan was carried out smoothly with great teamwork from each and everyone.
For recovery, I have put in place a MTA Pandemic Reset Plan (PRP) that align with the 4 phases of Malaysia National Recovery Plan (NRP).
The government is projecting that NRP Phase 3 could possibly begin in September 2021 because once phase 3 has been achieved, sporting activities can resume.
I believed MTA should be back on track to restart our Touch activities beginning September 2021 while keeping our eyes closely on the country threshold indicator set in the NRP Phase 3 and PRP Renew phase.
MTA POST-PANDEMIC PLAN
- MTA planning is to stage Malaysia National Development Tournament (MNDT) in September 2021.
- Malaysia National Touch League (NTL) is set on 3rd – 5th December 2021.
- NTL will double as the selection trial for Malaysia’s High Performance: Men’s Open, Women’s Open, Mixed Open, Women’s 27, Men’s 30s, Men’s 40s & Men’s 50s.
- MTA is looking forward to participation in the 2022 Asian Touch Cup in China, 2023 Youth Touch World Cup in England and 2023 Touch World Cup. (10th TWC’23 is underbidding process).
- MTA is positive to bid for the 2nd Asian Touch Cup (2024).
We look forward for normalcy and hope we can achieve it soon.
Please take care and stay safe.
HJ. AHMAD SUFIANI JOHARI
President Interim, Malaysia Touch Association (K-PJY-10420)
SPECIAL REPORT BY FEDERATION OF INTERNATIONAL TOUCH (FIT)